3 Reasons to Join the Alliance
1. Inform to achieve statewide recognition of Montessori philosophy and practices as viable, highly effective educational methods.
2. Advance through advocacy public policy favorable to Montessori certification.
3. Empower NYS parents, teachers, and school administrators to communicate the value of a Montessori education.
The NYSMA represents individuals, teachers, families, and schools that are passionate advocates for authentic Montessori practice in New York State.
Joining is Easy
Annual membership is available to schools and individuals for a 12-month period, beginning in September 2020 and ending in August 2021.
Whether you are renewing your membership (thank you!) or enrolling for the first time, please complete the application information below.
Benefits to Becoming a Member
Joining NYSMA is about becoming part of a community that speaks as one, unified voice for Montessori education in NYS.
There’s strength in numbers.
- Support for your school’s administration
- Receive education and guidance for you
- Earn professional development hours
- Meet leaders and changemakers in education
- Tap resources to inform educators and policymakers
- Keep-up with state/national Montessori news
- Work toward statewide recognition of the Montessori Teacher Certification
Benefits of Early Bird Registration
Only members who join or re-enroll by October 31, 2020, will be listed on the NYSMA website for the entire school year.
Gold Member—Join anytime during the school year and enjoy the general benefits of NYSMA membership.
Platinum Member—Join by October 31, 2020, and your name/school will be prominently displayed on our website.
Coming Together as a Community
We stay connected both online and in real time.
General Membership Meetings
- Wednesday, October 21, 4:00-6:00 pm, Zoom. Guest Speaker: Martha Haakmat, Haakmat Consulting, LLC. Topic: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in our Schools, Part 1 of 2.
- Thursday, January 21, 4:00-6:00 pm, Zoom. Guest Speaker: TBA. Topic: TBA.
- Tuesday, March 16, 4:00-6:00 pm, Zoom. Guest Speaker: Martha Haakmat, Haakmat Consulting, LLC. Topic: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in our Schools, Part 2 of 2.
- Wednesday, May 19, 4:00-6:00 pm, Zoom. Guest Speaker: TBA. Topic: TBA.
Members will receive invitations to meetings and events through NYSMA’s Google Group.
Make a Difference
Members are encouraged to join workgroups and committees to advance NYSMA’s mission.
Only in-state employed members can be appointed as a workgroup or committee chair. Similarly, only in-state employed members may run for Board of Trustees positions, when available.
However, we appreciate and embrace opportunities to learn and benefit from the insight of educators making a difference outside of NYS, as well as on national and global stages. Please consider joining NYSMA so that we can advocate together for Montessori.
Member Voting Rights
Each school, organization, or individual member is entitled to one vote. A quorum must be reached for votes to be considered valid. Voting for new and re-elected NYSMA board members for 2020-2021 begins in December:
- November 1—Nominations accepted
- November 30—Last day nominations accepted
- December 1—Voting opens
- December 31—Voting closes
- January 29—2020-2021 NYSMA board members announced on website
Our membership application contains demographic information that will remain confidential and will be aggregated into summary data for ongoing advocacy work within New York State.